Practicing gratitude can be a powerful tool for improving mental health. One way you can incorporate gratitude into your daily routine is by keeping a gratitude journal. Writing down things you’re grateful for helps you focus on the positive aspects of your life and shift your perspective away from negative thoughts. If you want to start a gratitude journal but don’t know where to start gratitude journal prompts can be really handy.
100 Gratitude Journal Prompts for Daily Journaling
Writing down my thoughts and feelings of gratitude can help you on your journey to self-discovery, improve your relationships, and bring you a sense of peace and comfort. If you’re new to gratitude journaling, or just looking for some fresh prompts to spice up your routine, here is a list of 50 daily gratitude journal prompts and 50 reflective gratitude journal prompts to get you started.
Daily Gratitude Journal Prompts
- What made you smile today?
- List three people in your life you are grateful for today and why.
- What’s something you often take for granted but were thankful for today?
- Who made a positive impact on your day, even in a small way?
- What moment from today would you want to relive?
- What’s one aspect of your health or body you’re grateful for?
- What challenge are you grateful for because it made you stronger?
- What book, song, or movie have you been thankful for recently?
- What’s one thing about your home environment that you appreciate?
- Name a past experience that you’re thankful for because it led you to where you are today.
- How has nature uplifted you this week?
- What act of kindness did you witness or receive today?
- What is something you learned today for which you’re grateful?
- Name a convenience or piece of technology you’re thankful for.
- What’s a skill or talent you have that you appreciate?
- How did someone show you love today?
- What was the best part of your routine today?
- List three simple pleasures you enjoyed today.
- What’s something beautiful you observed today?
- How did a challenge today turn into a blessing?
- What memory always brings a sense of gratitude?
- How have your past struggles made you more grateful for today?
- Name a food or meal you were thankful for today.
- What’s an object you used today that improved your day?
- What’s a scent or sound you encountered today that you loved?
- Name a place, whether you visited it today or not, that you feel grateful for.
- How did someone surprise you in a positive way today?
- What aspect of your work or career are you thankful for?
- How did you practice self-care today and why are you grateful for it?
- What’s a hobby or activity you’ve done recently that you appreciate?
- Name a skill or trait someone else possesses that you’re thankful for.
- What positive feedback or compliment did you receive today?
- Name a recent purchase or gift that you’re really grateful for.
- How did a past mistake turn into a lesson you’re now grateful for?
- Who can you always count on and why are you thankful for them?
- What was the most peaceful moment of your day?
- Name a cultural or community event you recently attended and are grateful for.
- How did a stranger make a difference in your day?
- What’s a recent accomplishment you’re thankful for?
- What’s something you’re looking forward to and are grateful for in advance?
- Name an animal or pet that brightened your day.
- How did someone support your dreams or goals today?
- What’s a family tradition or memory you cherish?
- Name a recent journey or trip you’re thankful for.
- How have you grown this year and why are you grateful for that growth?
- What made you laugh out loud today?
- How have your senses (sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell) brought joy into your day?
- What’s a positive habit you’ve developed for which you’re grateful?
- Name a teacher or mentor in your life and what you’re thankful for about them.
- What was the most unexpected and delightful part of your day?
Reflective Gratitude Journal Prompts
- How did a setback this month unexpectedly lead to growth or a silver lining?
- Think about the last time you were really challenged. What are you grateful to have learned from that experience?
- Reflect on a time you faced fear and came out stronger. What are you thankful for from that situation?
- What aspects of your upbringing are you most grateful for, and why?
- Which person from your past has surprisingly shaped who you’ve become today?
- Think about a difficult relationship that taught you something valuable. What did you learn, and why are you grateful for the lesson?
- How have your failures made you a more grounded and thankful person?
- In what ways has embracing change brought unexpected blessings?
- Reflect on a time when things didn’t go as planned. What was the hidden gift in that situation?
- What’s something you lost that later turned out to be a blessing in disguise?
- How has a personal weakness or flaw turned into a strength over time?
- What’s a moment from your past that, at the time, seemed insignificant but now fills you with gratitude?
- How has stepping out of your comfort zone enriched your life?
- Which personal challenges are you most thankful for?
- What past pains have brought present gratitude?
- Reflect on a time you made a decision that, while difficult, you’re now grateful for.
- How has solitude or quiet time brought clarity and thankfulness into your life?
- Think about a time you listened to your intuition. How did it benefit you, and why are you grateful?
- What’s a life lesson you’re currently learning and are thankful for?
- Reflect on a time when you felt lost. How did you find your way, and what are you grateful for from that journey?
- What’s an old memory that fills you with warmth and gratitude?
- How has a seemingly random encounter or event changed your perspective for the better?
- Reflect on a time when you were deeply moved. What are you thankful for from that experience?
- How have your beliefs or values shifted over time, and why are you grateful for that evolution?
- What’s something you once resisted but now feel grateful for?
- How has embracing vulnerability enhanced your relationships and experiences?
- Reflect on an old dream or goal that changed direction. How has that shift brought gratitude?
- What is a closed door from your past that you’re now thankful for?
- Think about a time you felt genuine peace. What brought about that feeling?
- How has seeking understanding or forgiveness brought gratitude into your life?
- Reflect on a time when you felt truly seen and understood. Why does that moment bring gratitude?
- How has learning more about another culture or way of life filled you with appreciation?
- Think of a time when nature profoundly impacted you. What are you grateful for from that experience?
- How has being patient brought unexpected joy into your life?
- Reflect on a personal sacrifice you made. How has it enriched your perspective or life overall?
- What’s a book, film, or song that made a significant impact on your life, and why are you thankful for it?
- How has acknowledging a hard truth brought about a sense of relief or gratitude?
- Reflect on a time when you felt immense love. What did it teach you about gratitude?
- Think about a risk you took that led to personal growth.
- What’s an experience from childhood that’s taken on new meaning or gratitude as you’ve grown older?
- How has expressing gratitude to someone else deepened your connection or relationship?
- Reflect on a time when you truly lived in the moment. What are you thankful for from that day?
- How has practicing mindfulness or meditation affected your sense of gratitude?
- What’s a challenging conversation from your past that you’re now grateful for?
- Reflect on a time you faced a fear or phobia. How did it empower you?
- How has age or the passage of time brought a sense of thankfulness?
- Think of a time when you took the path less traveled. What did you discover that you’re thankful for?
- Reflect on a cherished tradition. Why does it hold a special place in your heart?
- How has giving to others (time, resources, love) returned to you in unexpected ways?
- As you look at the bigger picture of your life, what threads of gratitude stand out the most?
Tips for Maintaining a Gratitude Journal
Maintaining a gratitude journal can be a powerful tool for cultivating a positive mindset and increasing overall well-being. Here are a few tips that have helped me stay consistent with my gratitude practice:
1. Set aside time each day
I find it helpful to set aside a specific time each day to write in my gratitude journal. For me, this is usually right before bed. I set a reminder on my phone to make sure I don’t forget. By making it a consistent part of my routine, it becomes easier to remember and less likely to fall by the wayside.
2. Keep your journal nearby
Keeping your gratitude journal in a visible, easily accessible place can also help you stay consistent. I like to keep mine on my nightstand so that I see it before going to bed and remember to jot down a few things I’m grateful for from the day.
3. Use prompts or templates
Sometimes it can be hard to know what to write in your gratitude journal, especially if you’re feeling stuck or uninspired. Using journal prompts or templates can be a helpful way to jumpstart your gratitude practice.
READ MORE: 100 AFFIRMATIONS FOR GRATITUDE
4. Don’t worry about being perfect
Remember that there’s no right or wrong way to approach gratitude journaling. It’s okay if you miss a day or don’t write as much as you intended. The important thing is to keep trying and to focus on the positive moments in your life.
5. Experiment with different formats
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment with different formats or approaches to gratitude journaling. Maybe you prefer a bullet journal style with short, concise statements of gratitude, or maybe you like to write longer more detailed entries. Find what works for you and stick with it.
READ MORE: 65 MINDFULNESS GRATITUDE QUOTES
MORE JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR YOU: